My journey along a new garden path has just begun.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Everything Tastes Yucky When You're Going Through Chemo! ( 15 )


Bleh! That's usually how everything tastes when you're going through Chemo. It's been 14 days since my second Chemo. I really didn't have any kind of an appetite following my first Chemo, but when I had started to feel better, at least I had no trouble eating. 

This second time around, food tasted ... awful. When I started to feel hungry around Day 5, I found that when I'd taken only one bite of something, I often would have to scrape the dish and toss the food out. Everything was trial and error. I found that things that were "sweet" were easier to eat. 

Things that seem to work:
Pancakes and syrup
muffins - really like the crumb cake topped muffin from Dunkin D. 
canned fruit - especially peaches
applesauce
hard candies
Raisin bread with jelly

Meats vary:
grilled chicken tolerable
chicken noodle soup with crackers or bread OK
SALT also became my new best friend. I am not normally a salt lover, but some foods tasted better with a good dose of salt added.

NO WAY FOODS:
beef
eggs (except hard boiled)
anything fried 

Oh, did I mention mouth sores? They really make eating very difficult. They started on Day 4 after my second Chemo. Had lovely white dots on the side of my tongue.  Salt water & baking soda rinses 4-5 times a day really helped.  The pain from the sores started to lesson by the 12th day.

Now I am 2 weeks past my 2nd Chemo and my appetite is pretty good and I am eating pretty well.  Plain water still has an after taste, but a squirt or two of MIO really helps.



No comments:

Post a Comment