My journey along a new garden path has just begun.

Friday, January 20, 2017

The Fight Continues ... Started Radiation Therapy ( 20 )

Started Radiation Therapy on January 10, 2017.  Now I have a glow about me. Just thought I'd throw in a little joke ....


Anyway, had my 9th treatment today.  Not me in the photo, but it shows a similar type of machine used in my treatments. My gig is 5 days a week for a total of 33 days. It's early in the game, so no side effects yet. Reddened skin, dry skin, blisters, and oozing are some of the potential side effects, and they are not fun. I have been advised that such side effects could start to surface usually during the last 2 weeks of treatment. Taking care of your skin is the key to avoiding lots of problems.  Moisturizing your skin as well as keeping skin folds dry are the main goals.


The photo above has been enhanced to mimic very reddened skin. NOT the desired side effect anyone would want, but the one that happens most often. Ah, again that is not me in the pic.  

Bottom line ... Radiation therapy kills cancer cells, but it burns your skin.  I have been using Calendula cream (per my radiation oncologist/and radiation tech's advice) since my first treatment. I apply it twice a day ... in the a.m. after my treatment and at night before I go to bed. Very pleasant scent and not greasy. Will also be applying it for at least 2 weeks after my treatments end. Blistering and oozing may occur as well (especially for us girls with larger boobs). If such effects should happen, I will handle them at that time in accordance with my oncologist's advice. 

I've also been researching the use of baby powders made with pure cornstarch. I've read that lightly dusting the treated areas with the powder, after the Calendula cream has dried, does wonders to keep the area dry and provides extra protection.


Read a lot of good things about pure Aloe Vera, too. Sap applied from a piece of the leaf taken right from the plant, or the use of a topical gel form, is often advised.


Bras ... soft, all cotton, and breathable are a must. No underwire bras, very constricting bras, or any that overly chafe or bind. It's all about extra comfort. I've also gone bra-less at times, too. Personally though, I prefer some support even if it's minimal. Regarding blouses, wearing loose, cotton t-shirts or soft cotton tops are more comfy than anything too tight.


Last, but not least. It could actually be the worst side effect. Fatigue. I felt so beat up when I was going through CHEMO. Sometimes I would be wiped for days at a time. When my oncologist recently told me some people experience fatigue that is worse than the exhaustion from chemo, I was shocked. I guess with cancer, you have to prepare yourself for anything.

Simply ... everything is up to you. You have to do whatever it takes to win the fight!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Janie, I am very sorry to hear you have breast cancer. I would definitely like to accompany you on your journey, and I think it's wonderful that you've doing this blog. I'm sure it will help you, and I'm even surer it will help other women in a similar situation. Good luck! Sue Catmint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,
      So nice to hear from you. Finished my last treatment a week ago. Skin is healing nicely and I'm feeling really good! And ... my hair is growing back gangbusters!
      Take care, Janie

      Delete