My journey along a new garden path has just begun.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Chemotherapy's Weirder Side Effects ( 19 )

Chemo comes with its share of common side effects such as nausea, vomiting, hair loss, loss of appetite, mouth sores, fatigue, etc.  Yet, there are also side effects you would never have thought of.


Eye tearing. Read it's a side effect from Taxotere. It's been almost 3 weeks since my last and final chemo treatment and the waterworks are driving me crazy.  In addition, I wake up each morning with a gritty goop in the inside corners of my eyes. A washcloth dipped in warm water cleans things up very well. I started using Visine multi symptom and it seems to help quite a bit.
            To keep my eyes company, my nose runs constantly. Also a side effect from Taxotere.

The cough. It started with my 3rd chemo treatment and is still around.  It's a dry, non-productive annoyance.  Chest and lungs are clear, but the tickle has stayed.

                                                    Fingernails and
toenails are funky looking.  Thin bands on the surface of my fingernails. My toenails ... my big toes just look gross! None lifting or falling off thankfully. You guessed it. Taxotere.

Vision changes.  Sometimes things get blurry.  I wear glasses, so I'm always adjusting them.

My sense of smell has fully come back ... but taste? Well, some things still taste yucky.  I'm either adding sugar or salt.  I was told taste takes quite awhile to return to normal.  

I didn't lose a lot of weight, nor did I gain.  I pretty much stayed the same. I have to say though, sometimes my legs feel like they are made of ... lead. 

Though not a weird side effect, my eyebrows and eyelashes have thinned considerably. A little mascara easily thickens the eyelashes. The weird part though ... concerns my eyebrows.  I've been been filling them in and they look better now then before!

Chemo ... farts ... are deadly.  That's all I'm gonna say.

Gotta say, 17 days since my final chemo and I feel really good!




No comments:

Post a Comment