My journey along a new garden path has just begun.

Monday, December 5, 2016

My 3rd Chemo And The Tough Road After ( 17 )

I had my 3rd Chemo infusion on November 17th. Five days later I was admitted to the hospital because my white blood cell count had dropped dramatically. Neutropenia. I also had a low grade fever and a dry cough. The cough was the oddest thing. Very dry, almost like I had particles of dust coating my throat. BUT my lungs and chest were absolutely clear. No mucus. I didn't cough all the time. It was sporadic. Annoying as hell. Needless to say, I felt wiped out. I was pumped full of antibiotics, fluids, and shots to make sure no blood clots formed in my legs. I did feel much better in a very short time.
I couldn't wait to go home. If you have spent time in a hospital, you know why. You can't sleep. You are woken up at all hours for a pill, a shot, checking vitals, and doctor visits. I was released 2 1/2 days later. I had more antibiotics to take for 10 days and 2 different kinds of cough medicine. I really only needed cough medicine occasionally at night. The cough faded away a few days after I'd been home. I have my own theories about the ... cough. I call it "Chemo cough". After I'd been home for awhile, I did some online research. Not surprisingly, I am not the only one who had a very similar experience. Doctors don't want to hear or talk about "Chemo cough".  Oh, well. 
My 4th and final Chemo treatment is Thursday December 8.  Yay! I have been staying home more and avoiding crowds. If I do go out, I wear a surgical mask EVERYWHERE and I don't touch anything if I go into a store. Hubby goes with me all the time and does the touching. I have hand sanitizer bottles all over the house, in my purse, and in the car. I wash my hands often as well. I also wear my mask in the house if I'm petting our cat.

 The only bump in the road at the moment is my stepson has a bad cold. He WEARS a mask when he's around me. He's an adult and goes to work everyday, so we are not together all day. When he goes off to work, I use Clorox wipes and clean the TV remotes, doorknobs, refrigerator door handles, light switches, and the computer mouse and keyboard. Then I spray some Lysol into the air near the living room couch and other places in the house.

 When my stepson first came down with his cold I was almost tempted to spray him with Lysol ...but his cold got better rather quickly. Good thing for him. Hee Hee Hee ....

I'll let you know how things go after my last Chemo treatment in a week or so ....

No comments:

Post a Comment