My journey along a new garden path has just begun.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Another Long Day At The Cancer Center ( 6 )


Yesterday was a long day.  Went to see the whole team.  I started with the medical oncologist first.  CHEMO. I don't hate the word. It is just a word that frightens me. As she had originally told me, the doctor again recommended 4 treatments at 3 week intervals. I know it is the best recommended treatment for Triple Negative Breast Cancer. And I know that different people react differently to the treatment. I have stomach issues ... and Chemo tends to make nausea all the more intolerable. I was told about nausea medications administered during treatment and for after. Maybe I'll be one of the fortunate ones and things won't be so bad. Either way I can't do much about it. I will take each treatment as it comes.  There is really no choice here. Maybe God will give me a break with this one. It's bad enough I'll probably lose my hair. But on the plus side ... I love wearing hats! I don't know if I want to do the ... wig thing. My first treatment will be October 6th. Hopefully I will be finished about 2 weeks before Christmas.

Second stop ... the surgical oncologist.  My incisions healed beautifully. No problems except a slight allergic reaction to the bandages (actually the edges where it adhered to my skin.) Steri-strips were put on and will no doubt be falling off in a few days. Good movement in my arm and shoulder. I believe that's due to the fact that I'm left-handed and my surgery was on my left breast. Had been using my left hand and arm quite a bit during the past 2 weeks after surgery. Couldn't help it. I am VERY- LEFT HANDED ... if you know what I mean.

Third stop ... radiologist.  He explained things to me very clearly.  About a month after Chemo ends I will be seeing him 5 days a week for 6-7 weeks. He told me his patients tell him that radiation is a "piece of cake" compared to everything else. I will probably be one more patient that will be saying the same thing to him.  At least, I hope I'll be.

I guess I am ready  ....






No comments:

Post a Comment